Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Split pea with ham soup

Ingredients:
water
1 ham bone
1 lb. dry split peas
1 cut up onion
2 cut up carrots
2 cut up potatoes
2 cut up celery stalks (optional - I love my vegetables, so I add them whenever I can)
salt, pepper (optional - I would add this at the very end if needed)

1. Remove all the usable ham meat from the cooked ham bone to save for making sandwiches later or for adding to the soup.
2. In a large pot put ham bone, cut up onion, washed split peas, celery and cover with water.
3. Bring to a boil for 1 minute; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1.5 hours. (You may need to add more water later if soup becomes too thick)
4. Add carrots and potatoes. Cook additional 30 min. covered. Vegetables will be soft & peas will dissolve completely. Enjoy!
5. If you have any leftover ham, add at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment